ORLANDO, Fla. – The No. 21 Oklahoma men’s tennis group dropped a limited match to No. 9 Mississippi Condition 4-2 Saturday at the USTA Nationwide Campus.
OU (7-3) gave up the doubles place but two Sooners arrived absent with singles wins in the again-and-forth contest.
In doubles Spencer Papa and Jake Van Emburgh fell to No. 11 Nuno Borges and Stranhinja Rakic 6-2. Stefano Tsorotiotis and Jochen Bertsch were defeated by Florian Broska and Gregor Ramskogler 6-3 at the No. 3 line.
When perform was abandoned, Ferran Calvo and Alex Bakshi were locked in at 4-all with Giovanni Oradini and Trevor Foshey on courtroom two.
Calvo place the Sooners on the board and tied the match at 1-all with a 6-1, 6-3 get around Rakic at the No. 3 line. The first set was tied at 1-1 just before Calvo received the subsequent five video games, then received a few far more to bounce out to a 3- lead in set two just before Rakic answered. The senior place the match absent to earn his third straight victory.
Mississippi Condition regained the lead at 2-1 when Bakshi fell to No. 80 Oradini 6-4, 6-1 on courtroom two.
OU tied it once more with a get from Bertsch at the No. 4 line when the junior topped Broska 6-4, 6-4. Bertsch trailed 3-1 in the frame just before firing again to tie it at 4-4, then get the subsequent two video games to claim it. The Sooner took a 3- lead in the 2nd and once more held Broska to four video games.
On courtroom 6, Rafa Izquierdo dropped to Ramskogler 1-6, 6-3, 6-1 and the Bulldogs took a 3-2 lead in the match.
That still left Papa at the top spot and Van Emburgh on courtroom four. Papa took No. 3 Borges to the wire, but fell soon after a third-set tiebreaker 1-6, 7-5, 7-6 (2). Papa gave up set 1, but tied Borges at every match up to five in set two, then received the previous two video games to drive a third frame, exactly where Borges prevailed in a breaker to claim the match for Mississippi Condition
Van Emburgh trailed Foshey 2-1 in the third set when perform was halted. The Sooner had received set 1 7-5 just before Foshey took around in the 2nd to get 6-2.
OU hits the courtroom once more tomorrow to experience No. 49 Kentucky at the USTA Nationwide Campus. Match time is 11 a.m. CT.
Reside stats and movie will be out there for the contest.
1. #3 Nuno Borges (MS) def. #61 Spencer Papa (OU) 6-1, 5-7, 7-6 (2-7)
2. #80 Giovanni Oradini (MS) def. Alex Bakshi (OU) 6-4, 6-1
3. Ferran Calvo (OU) def. Strahinja Rakic (MS) 6-1, 6-3
4. Jake Van Emburgh (OU) vs. Trevor Foshey (MS) 7-5, 2-6, 1-2, unfinished
5. Jochen Bertsch (OU) def. Florian Broska (MS) 6-4, 6-4
6. Gregor Ramskogler (MS) def. Rafa Izquierdo (OU) 1-6, 6-3, 6-1
1. #11 Nuno Borges/Strahinja Rakic (MS) def. Spencer Papa/Jake Van Emburgh (OU) 6-2
2. Ferran Calvo/Alex Bakshi (OU) vs. Trevor Foshey/Giovanni Oradini (MS) 4-4, unfinished
3. Gregor Ramskogler/Florian Broska (MS) def. Jochen Bertsch/Stefano Tsorotiotis (OU) 6-3
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3) Singles (3,2,5,6,1)