There are no two techniques about it. Lon Kruger’s Oklahoma men’s basketball staff is reeling.
What was after an 11-1 file as a result of 12 non-conference games, even in opposition to a robust program, is now a 15-7 all round mark that involves a 3-6 file in the Significant 12 Meeting.
At 8 tonight, a person 7 days after getting a 30-level drubbing within Lloyd Noble Middle from Baylor and two days after remaining topped by conference doormat West Virginia, the Sooners are back property to confront 20th-ranked Iowa State (17-5, 6-3).
Here’s a 5-factors-to-know primer moving into tonight’s matchup.
• It will not get less complicated: A property activity in opposition to the No. 20 staff in the nation is what passes for a person of the additional winnable games remaining on OU’s program.
Soon after tonight, it is 16th-ranked Texas Tech coming to Norman on Saturday afternoon.
The adhering to 7 days, the Sooners are at Baylor — which currently topped them 77-47 — and at TCU, which is not ranked but is obtaining votes in each the media’s and coaches’ best 25 polls.
The Significant 12, in terms of conference RPI, prices out as the nation’s most hard higher education basketball league. That will aid OU appear NCAA match time ought to it find itself on the bubble.
Nevertheless, no one will be prognosticating the Sooners to achieve the tourney ought to they fall to 3-10 in conference engage in.
The Significant 12 is a gauntlet and OU ought to begin successful some games.
• Bracketology issues: Heading into the Sooners’ very last victory, an 86-55 decision over Vanderbilt, component of the SEC/Significant 12 Problem, the bracketology consensus experienced OU a probably No. 6 seed at the NCAA match. Yet, losses considering the fact that has despatched the Sooners tumbling.
CBSSports.com’s Jerry Palm now has OU as an 8-seed, in the Midwest Regional, headed to Columbus, Ohio, to confront Ole Pass up.
ESPN’s Joe Lunardi also has OU as the No. 8 seed in Columbus, still going through Syracuse.
Neither Palm nor Lunardi has the Sooners on their “last 4 in” list. Both have Indiana and Seton Hall between their very last 4, whilst Palm provides Central Florida and Alabama and Lunardi provides Florida and Arizona State.
Nonetheless, to continue to be in the attract and off the bubble, OU requires to begin successful games yet again.
• Iowa State comes in hot: Whilst the Sooners have misplaced 4 of 6 games and 4 of 5 in the conference, the Cyclones have received 3 straight and 5 of 6, the only loss over the span coming at 11th-ranked Kansas’ Allen Fieldhouse.
Iowa State started that run with a victory at then-No. 8 Texas Tech and, through it, has topped then-No. 20 Mississippi in Oxford.
The Cyclones remaining conference losses have appear at Baylor and in opposition to Kansas State by a mixed 4 points.
• Significant activity required: The Sooners will need any individual to change in a significant activity.
They haven’t experienced any participant eclipse the 20-level mark in a conference activity considering the fact that Christian James netted 20 in opposition to Texas on Jan. 19. That was 4 conference games back when James scored accurately 20.
James stays the best guess. He netted 18 at West Virginia, 21 in opposition to Vanderbilt, 20 at Texas and 20 in opposition to Kansas State. His 24 points in opposition to TCU on Jan. 12 stays the superior-level performance of OU’s conference slate.
On top of that, any points at all from Jamal Bieniemy would be welcome.
The real freshman level guard, who figures to begin his sixth straight activity tonight, has dished 18 helps in opposition to only 3 turnovers in his very last 3 games. Nevertheless, he has also mixed to score just 3 points total in those people games.
His to start with two begins, he netted 11 and 17 points.
• Like very last time would be good: The Sooners are an fully diverse staff than very last year. Nevertheless, most likely they can attract assurance from a 12 months back, when they defeat the Cyclones 81-60 very last March 2 in Norman.
That ended a run of 3 straight Cyclone victories in the series.
All time, OU potential customers the series 116-87.
Iowa State at Oklahoma
Time: 8 p.m. Monday
Put: Lloyd Noble Middle
Information: ISU 17-5, 6-3/No. 20 AP Top rated 25, No. 20 coaches’ poll OU 15-7, 3-6/unranked
Tv set: ESPN2
Radio: KRXO 107.7