Happy Friday, friends and fans!
The college basketball regular season tips off tonight for Lon Kruger and the Oklahoma Sooners on the road at UT-Rio Grand Valley.
This is a particularly interesting season opener because UTRGV was (essentially) Kruger’s first head coaching gig from 1982-1986, when the school was known as Texas-Pan American prior to a 2013 merger with UT-Brownsville. On Thursday night he was inducted into the school’s Hall of Fame.
Another interesting note for this game surrounds UTRGV’s current head coach, Lew Hill. He coached under Kruger at Oklahoma from 2011-2016, and led the Vaqueros to a 15-18 overall record last season. This should make for an extra intriguing matchup to begin the year, along with the many new faces on this season’s Sooner squad.
Now for this week’s Friday edition of Hot Links! Marquise Brown is feeling better, the Selmon brothers need a statue, the Houston Rockets look like a shell of themselves and more!
- Just in case you need a reminder of what color you need to wear to the game this Saturday, check this chart and find your seating section. You don’t want to be that one person in a crimson section wearing something other than crimson. Also, jokes.
- Twitter legend Blinkin Riley has you covered with all the hilarious Bedlam facts that highlight the sheer disparity between Oklahoma and Oklahoma State. You absolutely must give these a look. One of my favorites is that more men have walked on the moon than the number of coaches that have led the Cowboys to a win over the Sooners. Click on the tweet to check out the thread full of astonishing Bedlam factoids.
- C&C Machine caught up with Micah Allen from Oklahoma State SB Nation site Cowboys Ride For Free for a little Q&A ahead of Bedlam. Find out her thoughts on OSU’s strengths and weaknesses and what Mike Gundy will have to do to come away with the upset victory.
- This might be my favorite picture of any Sooner or group of Sooners I’ve ever seen. The Selmon brothers aren’t just Oklahoma legends, they’re football royalty. Like Barry Switzer, I too am most definitely in favor of a statue in their honor on campus.
- How have major personnel changes affected college football so far in 2018? One example that remains to be seen is Notre Dame’s Ian Book. His absence could potentially knock the Fighting Irish out of the CFP race if they are unable to overcome it against Florida State.
- The ACC isn’t usually the first conference that comes to mind when discussing the weakest Power Five leagues in college football, but outside of Clemson, there really isn’t much else to write home about. Is Boston College or Syracuse really the next-best team in the ACC?
- If you’re not named UCF and you’re a major university in Florida, your football team is likely not doing particularly well in the win/loss column. Out of the big three (Florida, Florida State and Miami), which school is doing the best on the recruiting trail? Whoever succeeds there should ultimately return to prominence on the field as well.
- The Houston Rockets finished last season with the best record in the league, but currently find themselves outside the top eight in the Western Conference standings. What are the reasons for the major drop-off?
- This is a pretty rare sight in sports. Illinois’ Trent Frazier deflected a pass that went into the backcourt, and immediately went to the ref to say it was off of him and should not be a violation on the other team. Though many of us, including myself, are immersed in the world of sports, it’s a great reminder that there are more important things in life than competition.
- The profundity that is borne from the simple task of cleansing oneself knows no limits. In a groundbreaking exercise, people have captured their most eye-opening observations of the world around them and shared those thoughts with the rest of us. I now present to you: ‘Shower Thoughts’, courtesy from the brilliant minds on Reddit.
Follow Crimson & Cream Machine on Twitter!