Happy Monday, friends and fans!
So that shootout in Lubbock was fun, right? Not really, but all things considered, it was a solid weekend for the Oklahoma Sooners. OU won, rivals Texas and Oklahoma State both lost, and I’m 3-0 in my NBA Fantasy league. Okay, you don’t care about that last part, but just know I’m feeling really good about my sports life right now.
Back to some gridiron talk… the Sooners opened up as 18-point favorites over the Oklahoma State Cowboys, which sounds about right.
Notable lines for CFB Week 11 (@betonline_ag):
TCU @ West Virginia -13.5
Wisconsin @ Penn State -9
South Carolina @ Florida -7
Oklahoma State @ Oklahoma -18
Auburn @ Georgia -13.5
FSU @ Notre Dame -18
Clemson @ Boston College +17.5
Ohio State @ Michigan State +5.5
— OddsShark (@OddsShark) November 4, 2018
Oklahoma has covered the spread in each of the past three meetings with the Cowboys and has also done so in every home game this season outside of that Army outlier. Still, there’s a reason why this in-state rivalry is called Bedlam. If you’re of the betting mold, proceed with extra caution in this one. Having said that, I’d still put my money on OU to cover.
It’s now time for the Monday edition of Hot Links! Kyler Murray is on pace to shatter Baker Mayfield’s passing efficiency record (and now leads Tua), OU men’s golf is also breaking program records, KU’s David Beaty won’t return in 2019, and more!
- Kyler Murray is literally playing more efficiently than any quarterback in the history of college football. Not bad for a baseball player, amirite? In all seriousness, there’s absolutely no way he isn’t a Heisman Trophy finalist next month.
- Trey Sermon had himself a career night running the ball in Lubbock on Saturday, and he’s accepted an even greater role with Rodney Anderson and Marcelias Sutton both done for the season.
- Despite the close game and subpar defensive performance (which actually did have a few positives), the Sooners walked away from Texas Tech victorious. A fourth straight Big 12 title and a third CFP berth remain well within Oklahoma’s reach.
- It’s been announced that ABC commentators Steve Levy, Brian Griese and Todd McShay are once again on the call for Bedlam. This, of course, is the same TV trio that just called the Texas Tech game. You might want to turn down the volume and listen to Toby Rowland, as he at least knows how to pronounce ‘Bedenbaugh’.
The same ABC crew that had the game in Lubbock will have Bedlam this week: Steve Levy, Brian Griese, Todd McShay. #Sooners
— Kenny Mossman (@Kenny_Mossman) November 5, 2018
- Senior Day is coming one week after Bedlam, as Oklahoma will host the Kansas Jayhawks. The broadcast has been given the six day window, so details for that game will be announced either this Saturday night or Sunday morning.
Networks exercise six-day selection window for OU-Kansas. Game time will be announced Saturday night or Sunday morning. https://t.co/Z9RXX0T1nl
— Oklahoma Football (@OU_Football) November 5, 2018
- The men’s golf team at Oklahoma continues to elevate its level of play on the course, and with that rise comes some record-breaking performances. As a team, the Sooners finished with a program-best (-20) in a single 18-hole round of the Ka’anapali Collegiate Classic, where the team sits in third place after three days. Boomer!
The #Sooners post their lowest 18-hole round in school history to close out the Ka’anapali Collegiate Classic!
OU finishes in third place with a three-day 817 (-35) at the event. pic.twitter.com/GKaHm0ZlZF
— Oklahoma Golf (@OU_MGolf) November 5, 2018
- Kansas AD Jeff Long spoke about his coaching search and what he wants the next Jayhawks head coach to bring to Lawrence. Les Miles is one of the candidates rumored to be squarely in the mix since he has a working history with Long. Here are some other names to watch.
- The Baylor Bears took a bunch of land from the Oklahoma State Cowboys, who took a bunch of land from the Texas Longhorns, who took a bunch of land from lots of other teams. Sound confusing? Good. Now check out this week’s updated College Football Empires Map.
- Boxer Floyd Mayweather is coming out of retirement once again to enter the ring and face an opponent whose primary background in martial arts isn’t boxing. Japanese kickboxing phenom Tenshin Nasukawa and “Money” Mayweather will square off at the Saitama Super Arena on New Year’s Eve. Further fight details are currently being worked out.
- I saw that flag fly in there almost as soon as Michael Thomas knelt down to find the flip phone and in my head I said “worth it.” Total boss move, and an epic recreation of Joe Horn’s original!
- It might sound silly, but the No. 1 rule change I’d love to see in college football is to allow elaborate touchdown celebrations like the ones we see in the NFL. Okay, this might be an excessive example, but look how fun this is:
- “The Walking Dead” television series is getting three made-for-TV movies starring Andrew Lincoln as Rick Grimes, the story’s protagonist. Production for the movies will begin in 2019, but the air dates are still to be determined.
Follow Crimson & Cream Machine on Twitter!