What’s up, everybody?
It’s almost hard for me to believe Tress Way is in his sixth year in the NFL as a pro punter. It feels just like yesterday he was playing for the Oklahoma Sooners and booming punts 60+ yards on Owen Field on a regular basis, and he’s now doing the same thing with the Washington Redskins. With that said, you can take the kid out of OU, but you can’t take the OU out of the kid.
Way knows all about “Championship November”, having been a Big 12 champion himself. That OU Jordan Brand gear looks real nice, too, because of course it does.
- Kyler Murray was named a semifinalist for the Walter Camp Player of the Year Award, given to the nation’s top player who best represents the qualities the Walter Camp Foundation have as standards. Most recently, Baker Mayfield brought home the honor in 2017.
- Ben Powers was also named a semifinalist for the Outland Trophy, awarded to the nation’s best offensive or defensive interior lineman. The competition is strong this season, with Houston’s Ed Oliver in the running, as well as two players each from Alabama and Clemson.
- Connor McGinnis, the award winner of the 2017 Mortell Holder of the Year, was recently named the Mortell Award Holder of the Week for his outstanding performance against Oklahoma State. Could McGinnis repeat in 2018 for the ultimate prize? He’s definitely in the running.
- Lon Kruger and his staff just signed one hell of a class, which includes three top-100 high schools players and two top-10 JUCO guys. Not bad.
- Kyler Murray, Will Grier and Shea Patterson are all having the kind of seasons many expected them to have coming out of high school, but none of them are doing it where they originally signed.
- 18 Sooner seniors will experience their final game in front of their home crowd this Saturday, and that’s also the case for others who will ultimately leave to play professional football (and baseball). It’s sure to be a memorable experience for all of them.
- One of those seniors is fullback Carson Meier, who has probably grown more than any other current Sooner over the course of his career. Before this season, he mostly saw time on special teams and in late-game situations, but now he’s making plays on a weekly basis.
- Caleb Kelly recently visited a fan and dear friend of his, first-grader Caden Hill, to witness his baptism. Kelly and Hill originally bonded two years ago at a Sooner meet-and-greet and have since developed a close friendship.
- The 2018 season is not over yet, but it’s never too early to look ahead. So what’s the number one reason why Oklahoma should feel optimistic about 2019?
- No surprise here. According to Pro Football Focus, Mark Andrews grades out the highest among all rookie tight ends in the NFL through Week 10. Way to represent, Mark!
- Tyler Trent, a young man battling cancer and the biggest Purdue fan you’ll ever see, now has a bobblehead for sale. From every sale, $5 will go to his personal charity and the Jimmy V Foundation.
- Syracuse has an offense that Notre Dame is not accustomed to seeing, but that’s probably not the No. 1 edge the Orange have over the Fighting Irish. Dino Babers’ squad is exceptional on special teams, and it was in that phase of the game that almost pulled the upset over Clemson.
- Earlham College, a Division III liberal arts school, has decided to cancel the 2019 football season after losing a staggering 53 straight games. This story actually breaks my heart.
- Mike Leach has had a lot of QBs put up prolific stats in his offenses over the years, including guys like Graham Harrell and Luke Faulk. So where does Gardner Minshew rank among those greats?
- Speaking of greats, on Wednesday night, LeBron James passed up Wilt Chamberlain for 5th most points scored in NBA history.
- John Lewis & Partners is at it again with another masterfully done Christmas ad. This time, the popular English department store walks the audience down memory lane with Sir Elton John as he reflects on his life as an artist and a musician, and none of it would be possible without the right gift at an early age. This will definitely pull on your heart-strings, so prepare yourself for possible waterworks, and enjoy.
Follow Crimson & Cream Machine on Twitter!