Located in the heart of campus just north of Gaylord Family – Oklahoma Memorial Stadium, the Howard McCasland Field House is the home for OU volleyball, wrestling and men’s gymnastics.
Recent years have brought updates to both the interior and exterior, including refurbished exterior brick, new windows and entry doors, a complete roof replacement and a remodel of the volleyball offices, locker and team rooms, renovation of main lobby, restrooms and concessions, sound system, lighting and scoreboard, etc.
The historic floor was resanded and repainted with four efficient practice courts and chair-back seating that offers fans more comfort and the entire facility was repainted. The Sooners also enjoy renovations done to the training room as well as an upgrade to team-specific facilities.
Originally opened in 1928, the Field House was once the home of the men’s basketball team. More than 5,000 fans were in attendance for the facility’s first game on January 13, 1928, as the Sooners beat the Kansas Jayhawks, 45-19. Since then, the Field House has served as the home for numerous OU sports.
In addition to sporting events, the Field House has hosted several notable musicians and entertainers in its history. Oklahoma students have watched acts including Jimi Hendrix (1970), Henry Mancini (1963), Sonny and Cher (1969), Nat King Cole (1956) and Duke Ellington (1956). Former President Bill Clinton spoke at the Field House during the 2008 Presidential campaign.
A former captain and center for the Oklahoma basketball team from 1914-16, Howard McCasland was an outstanding player who local Sooner fans flocked to the gym to watch. During his senior campaign in 1916, McCasland totaled 407 points, which accounted for half of the entire team’s season total. The Field House is named in his honor.