NORMAN, Okla. — There are no two means about it. Lon Kruger’s Oklahoma men’s basketball workforce is reeling.
What was the moment an 11-1 file by means of 12 non-meeting online games, even versus a potent schedule, is now a 15-7 all round mark that includes a 3-6 file in the Huge 12 Convention.
At 8 tonight, one particular week just after getting a 30-position drubbing within Lloyd Noble Centre from Baylor and two times just after becoming topped by meeting doormat West Virginia, the Sooners are back home to confront 20th-ranked Iowa Point out (17-5, 6-3).
Here’s a five-points-to-know primer getting into tonight’s matchup.
• It will not get much easier: A home activity versus the No. 20 workforce in the country is what passes for one particular of the far more winnable online games remaining on OU’s schedule.
Just after tonight, it’s 16th-ranked Texas Tech coming to Norman on Saturday afternoon.
The subsequent week, the Sooners are at Baylor — which currently topped them 77-47 — and at TCU, which is not ranked but is receiving votes in equally the media’s and coaches’ best 25 polls.
The Huge 12, in terms of meeting RPI, charges out as the nation’s most hard faculty basketball league. That will assistance OU occur NCAA event time should it come across itself on the bubble.
However, nobody will be prognosticating the Sooners to achieve the tourney should they slide to 3-10 in meeting play.
The Huge 12 is a gauntlet and OU will have to commence successful some online games.
• Bracketology difficulties: Heading into the Sooners’ very last victory, an 86-55 decision about Vanderbilt, aspect of the SEC/Huge 12 Challenge, the bracketology consensus had OU a possible No. 6 seed at the NCAA event. Nevertheless, losses considering that has sent the Sooners tumbling.
CBSSports.com’s Jerry Palm now has OU as an eight-seed, in the Midwest Regional, headed to Columbus, Ohio, to confront Ole Miss.
ESPN’s Joe Lunardi also has OU as the No. 8 seed in Columbus, nevertheless dealing with Syracuse.
Neither Palm nor Lunardi has the Sooners on their “last four in” listing. The two have Indiana and Seton Corridor amid their very last four, even though Palm provides Central Florida and Alabama and Lunardi provides Florida and Arizona Point out.
However, to keep on being in the attract and off the bubble, OU requirements to commence successful online games yet again.
• Iowa Point out comes in very hot: Even though the Sooners have missing four of 6 online games and four of five in the meeting, the Cyclones have received 3 straight and five of 6, the only loss about the span coming at 11th-ranked Kansas’ Allen Fieldhouse.
Iowa Point out started that run with a victory at then-No. 8 Texas Tech and, throughout it, has topped then-No. 20 Mississippi in Oxford.
The Cyclones remaining meeting losses have occur at Baylor and versus Kansas Point out by a mixed four details.
• Huge activity wanted: The Sooners need to have somebody to change in a large activity.
They haven’t had any participant eclipse the 20-position mark in a meeting activity considering that Christian James netted 20 versus Texas on Jan. 19. That was four meeting online games in the past when James scored just 20.
James stays the best guess. He netted 18 at West Virginia, 21 versus Vanderbilt, 20 at Texas and 20 versus Kansas Point out. His 24 details versus TCU on Jan. 12 stays the higher-position efficiency of OU’s meeting slate.
Additionally, any details at all from Jamal Bieniemy would be welcome.
The correct freshman position guard, who figures to commence his sixth straight activity tonight, has dished 18 helps versus only 3 turnovers in his very last 3 online games. However, he has also mixed to rating just 3 details whole in people online games.
His initial two commences, he netted 11 and 17 details.
• Like very last time would be awesome: The Sooners are an totally different workforce than very last period. Nevertheless, perhaps they can attract self esteem from a yr in the past, when they defeat the Cyclones 81-60 very last March 2 in Norman.
That finished a run of 3 straight Cyclone victories in the series.
All time, OU sales opportunities the series 116-87.
Video game 23
Iowa Point out at Oklahoma
Time: 8 p.m. Monday
Place: Lloyd Noble Centre
Records: ISU 17-5, 6-3/No. 20 AP Prime 25, No. 20 coaches’ poll OU 15-7, 3-6/unranked
Radio: KRXO 107.7